ABC Carpet & Home is a historic shopping destination for designers, locals and tourists alike. The massive 10-floor retail space is known for being packed with inventive displays and eclectic offerings for the luxury market. ABC truly is Disney World for the design-savvy.
ABC Carpet & Home
- The ABC flagship store is located at Manhattan’s Union Square, with satellite stores in the Bronx, Florida and New Jersey
- The Manhattan store crosses 10 floors of home goods, amounting to 350,000 square feet of selling space
- Founded in 1897, ABC Home has been a New York City icon for over a century
- The store includes ABC Home retail space as well as leased departments, including in-store boutiques and pop-up shops which are continually changing
- ABC’s customer base varies although middle-age females tend to be the shop’s core consumer
- The product range sees a diverse selection of globally sourced designer product, including vintage and antiques as well as organic and eco-friendly products
- ABC transitioned into a mission-based socially responsible business in 2004, developing the ABC Home & Planet brand, which offers sustainable design products
- As the largest retailer of rugs and carpets in the country, ABC features a diverse offer, including one-of-a-kind antique styles, Chinese needlepoints, hand-woven oriental rugs and modern graphics
ABC Carpet & Home
The ABC Home visual team works closely with the art director and CEO/creative director on the design of the store, which is constantly changing. The design team’s aim is to create a three-dimensional experience of a home and lifestyle magazine as an interactive museum space.
WGSN spoke to Marc Duron, ABC’s press and events manager, about the shop’s visual merchandising and the constant challenge of staying sustainably focused while maintaining a high quality of product: “We are always exploring and maintaining sustainable sourcing integrity while not compromising on beauty and innovation.”
Duron emphasises the importance placed by ABC customers on finding a balance between nature, a holistic lifestyle and the home: “We offer an antidote to empty consumerism by being values-based, developing a new way for the world to do business in the essence of creating beauty through sustainability.”
To coincide with New York’s International Contemporary Furniture Fair in May, ABC is featuring a range of special installations. These include The Republic of Fritz Hansen Egg Tour, a tribute to Arne Jacobsen’s Egg Chair by Artist Tal R, and an exclusive preview of Tom Dixon’s new line, Industry. John Reeves is also set to reveal the Sketch Collection. Additionally The Conran Shop will launch on the lower level of the store on May 14.
ABC Carpet and Home
888 & 881 Broadway Ave
New York, NY
Tel: +1 (212) 473 3000